Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Being Realistic

One of my goals for this preparation course is to set realistic goals and create a realistic schedule for myself while I am Ghana. This is because in the past I have tended to set high expectations when setting plans and then end up disappointing myself because my goals were unachievable. I want to work hard in Ghana and have challenging goals but I want to be sure I can accomplish them.

As I've created my project design I have really had to consider what my abilities and limitations will be in Ghana. The language and my lack of experience in field research being my main limitations I have decided that I'm going to recruit a small sample of informants. This will help me really get to know my informants and give me time to really formulate the questions I ask in my interview based on their different personalities and situations. I think this goal is more realistic than the large number of informants I saw myself interviewing at the beginning of this project.

I think another limitation will be my knowledge of African Dance movement. I have taken workshops and classes in different styles of African dance but cannot recall once taking a class specifically on the Asante or Ghanaian style. So I may not just pick up the dance movement as quickly as I would in my regular modern or ballet technique class. With this limitation in mind I think it would be realistic for me to set a goal of learning 11 (that's my favorite number) different dances. If I get to learn more that will be fantastic! But I think 11 is a realistic goal that I can feel proud of in the end.

I believe I am very blessed with some strengths that will help me really enjoy my field study. I believe my flexibility, pragmatic attitude, optimism and energy will keep me hopeful and allow me to accomplish all my goals despite these limitations. I love working with people and finding creative solutions to different problems. I think this skill set will help me build rapport and enjoy my social and living experience in Wiamoase. I know there will be challenges but I can deal with them and always work towards my goals. And I am allowed to redefine my goals if I arrive there and discover they were not as realistic as I thought. I believe if I set measurable and realistic goals I will enjoy my experience more and be proud of my work done in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment