Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Coping with Culture Shock

I wish we had discussed the effects of culture shock before I had my first international cultural immersion experience to Jamaica. I went in August before my sophomore year and can recall breaking down in weeping fits only minutes after we arrived at our residence. We missed one connecting flight and were rerouted to Jamaica on a course that took over 30 hours to travel. Because of my fears and anxiety (and because I bite my tongue when I fall asleep in planes) I didn't sleep or rest at all. We had fun entertaining ourselves in a deserted Fort Lauderdale airport and I thoroughly enjoyed the first van ride from the airport to our dorms. But once I set my stuff down in my room I started bawling. I took a couple hours of sleeping and bawling off and on to re-cooperate. I had no idea why I was acting the way I was but now I understand that I was experiencing culture shock.

During that experience I felt really alone, but didn't want help. I didn't want anyone to knock on my door and ask how I was doing because I was embarrassed, so I tried to muffle my emotions in my cotton ball stuffed pillow. I was prideful to reject any help offered. I had been dancing with my group for over 9 months and I knew they loved me and wanted to help. They were probably experiencing similar feelings but I wasn't open to the idea of using each other as a source of support.

Some symptoms of culture shock are:
  • Loss of ability to work effectively
  • Unexplainable fits of weeping
  • Physical ailments (psychosomatic illnesses)
  • Feelings of isolation
  • Weight loss
  • Feelings of helplessness
  • Tenseness and moodiness
  • Loss of confidence
  • Fear of the worst happening
To be quite honest I often experience some of these symptoms, even as often as weekly for some. My roommate Tabitha knows this as she can read my most common symptom of stress or shock which is tenseness and moodiness. We've lived together before and are very open with each other, she loves to communicate and I love her for it. But she and I know too well that I do not like to ask for help and will mask my problems rather than openly share them or accept support. Realizing one day that even though I'd never admit it, when I'm struggling I really DO WANT HELP, I came to Tabitha and asked her to help me create a game plan we could use to help each other out when either one of us is struggling. And this is what we created:




Because deliberately inquiring about a roommates moodiness or culture shock can cause tension or the person struggling to become defensive or offended Tabitha and I decided that if either one of us notices that the other roommate is suffering from any of the above listed symptoms we will choose one of the listed plans of action. This way the person struggling can recognize that their friend is concerned and out of love is trying to implement the help that the person already pre-asked for. Tabitha and I purposely chose activities that we would love so that in case one of us assumes wrongly about the others mood we will still enjoy the activity together. Struggling or not, giving quality time and wanting to participate in a fun activity with your roommate will only show love and build the relationship.

I predict, no I know I will experience culture shock when I go to Ghana. So, Katie and Rebecka, take note on my list. I may need to create a new one with appropriate activities for Ghana but I look forward to living with you girls and hope that we can be a support group for each other as we all experience some form of culture shock.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I totally relate to you. I swear, we are very much alike. And it's often really hard for me to know what to ask for, and even if I know what I need, I almost never ask for it because I hate asking for help. And I know that culture shock is going to throw me for a loop. So, I really think that we should do the list thing for all three of us in Ghana. I really think it would be helpful. Because if I have you girls to keep me sane, and pick me up when I'm down, I know I'll do so much better.
    I'm so glad I'll have you (:

    ReplyDelete