Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Questions

In my last post I tried to answer some of my own questions to participate and understand better what it would be like to answer questions on dance and spirituality. Granted its from my perspective and based on the experiences and learning I've had in my life but I found it was something I was passionate about and thus something I felt at ease answering. Now my question is how will I find someone with that willingness in Ghana. African dance has roots in spiritual and religious traditions and the literature I've read makes me confident that there will be people in Wiamoase who are willing to share. But how will I know when I've met them that they will be a good key informant?

I hope by asking my informal questions listed below in different social situations will help me decipher who is a good candidate or not. I was told by a professor of folklore the other day that African people love to talk. They love to share stories and will probably be very willing. That was a comforting thought and I hope this questions guide me to know who to ask to interview more formally.


Do you Dance?

Can you describe a dance experience you’ve had?

Can you describe the people you dance with?

Where do you Dance?

Do you go to Church?

Do you dance at Church?

How did you learn how to dance?

Have you ever taught someone to dance?

Do you ever dance solo? In a group?

When do you dance?

How often do you dance?

Why do you dance?

What is the purpose or significance of a particular dance?

What is the purpose or significance of dance in your life?

Do you ever speak with others about the significance of dance? When? How often? With who?

How does dance affect your life?

Does dance have a spiritual impact on your life?


Once I have decided upon my key informants here are some possible semi-structured and more formal interview questions. I may or may not use these ones because it will depend on the individual and their answers to the informal questions, but these questions are meant to show how I could go deeper and more specific with my inquiry.

Can you describe how you feel during a particular dance?

What does spirituality mean to you?

Define spirituality.

Define dance.

Can you identify a spiritual experience you’ve had while dancing?

Is dance always a spiritual experience?

Are specific conditions required for a spiritual experience within dance?

What is it about dance that you feel is personally spiritual to you?

What are the technical aspects of dance that connect with you spiritually?

What are you connecting too spiritually?

What is required to dance at a religious ceremony?

Do you believe everyone can connect spiritually to dance or is that role only for certain individuals?

Does dance impact your health?

Does religion or spirituality impact your health?

Does dance impact your sense of community unity?

Does religion or spirituality impact your community unity?

Does dance impact your identity?

Does religion and spirituality impact your community unity?

Do dance and spirituality together impact you health? Community unity? Identity?

Where do you believe Man came from?

Where do you believe men go after death?

What do your dances say about your village?

Are your ancestors connected to your dancing? Spirituality?



2 comments:

  1. hey heather! just wanted to let you know... i was planning on studying dance here in wiamoase and i would love to let you know what i've found out-- because it might help with you tweaking your project if y'all are coming here. if you are going somewhere else, it might not be as big of a problem!

    but just so you know, GHANA ROCKS!!! (i'm here right now and it's been lifechanging!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love it if you shared what you've found out with me! Maybe you could e-mail me? h gemperline at gmail dot com, no spaces :)

    ReplyDelete