Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Self Evaluation Note

Dave gently reminded us about our self evaluation responsibility within the prep course today and it caused me to take a moment and ponder on how I'm progressing thus far in the course. With my goal for better health preparation that I created for myself I'm doing so-so but I could increase my amount of exercise but I'm doing well at adding starchy vegetables to my diet. I've even collected a Ghanaian recipe to try out from a friend.

However, what I really want to share is in regards to my goal to become more flexible and to allow myself to redefine my goals and edit the guts out of my proposal if I have to until it reflects exactly what I want out of my field study experience. Well, I just had a challenge to my stubbornness.

I just spent all my free time over the long weekend and over the past two days writing my 1st draft for my proposal. When I finally got everything down on paper I was thrilled! But as I browsed through current and past field study blogs my wheels began turning again. I took another look at my proposal and felt I needed to make A LOT of changes, starting with my intent. Which in turn will ripple into A LOT of changes to the rest of my proposal. I was stubborn at first. I tried every way possible to fit my new vision for my project into the words I had already written but then I reminded myself, (in my head "mind" you)

"Heather, you said you would allow for redefinition of yourself. You accepted the fact you would probably change your idea and intent. You committed yourself to taking delight in the journey through uncertainty. You recognized the necessity of making changes to assure your field study is everything you want it to be. You have to be flexible!"

Then I gave myself a one second party..."OH YEAH!" A rejuvenating walk with my roommate, and then went to work on my "Statement of Intent." I am pleased with the work I've accomplished on it tonight and will continue to fit the rest of my proposal to it tomorrow.

and then maybe in the future...I'll arrange it all again. I think I could allow for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment