Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Organization and Chaos

Can I just start by saying how much I am enjoying this field study experience! The preparation class has been so enjoyable thus far and I am so grateful to be involved in field study work, and I haven't even left the country yet! I think one of the reasons I enjoy this class so much is because I can enjoy uncertainty and the unknown as well as practical, tangible, effective organization strategies.

Uncertainties
I certainly have no idea what it really will look or feel like to be in Ghana. I don't know if I will find answers for the questions I have. I don't know how I'll respond of if I'll respond appropriately in social situations. I don't know if I'll like the food. I don't know who I'll meet. I don't know how I'll feel or what exactly is going to happen! But isn't that exciting to have so many unknowns! Once I know the answer to some of these questions the excitement and adrenaline will begin to fall, so I better enjoy being excited about some of these unknowns because they will soon be answered. But that's what is so great about inquiry based learning is that there is always excitement because one answer or one question is the springboard or gate for more questions to follow.

Organizational Strategies
The field study experience when I first learned of it seemed to be ineffable for many people who've been through the program. What was described to me was hard to imagine and I still often see a wall of darkness in my mind when I try to imagine my future in Ghana, but it's getting greener...and warmer. When I think of the uncertainties without faith I can begin to feel the fear and anxiety, but this rarely happens because I trust in the program so much. Everyday I am learning of new tools I will be using in my research, getting better at research, and learning more about daily Ghanaian life. I am feeling more organized and prepared each day and clearer vision of what is going to occur is finally forming in my mind.

Reading about the different types of field notes (jotting, diary, field notes, and analysis) really helped me see what actual research work will look like. Knowing that I will need a jotting journal, a diary, and a strategy for documenting field notes either in another booklet or computer are tangible items for my to do list and I am excited to use these methods. Dave also mentioned in class that we should take family photos. Knowing one item on my packing list relieved some of my anxiety that accompanies uncertainty.

Now, don't think I don't love thinking over, planning for, and discussing the more intangible ideas of preparation such as recognizing eccentricities or discussing proxemics and kinesics. I love preparing myself by considering these ideas as well. But I love the field study experience so much because slowly I am seeing these ineffable ideas become tangible, pragmatic ideas I can implement in my daily living; ideas such as sharing and reciprocity. When Katie made gluten free cookies for class I saw a very real way that we can build relationships. Katie taking notice of my situation and then serving me in that way made me feel really good. She is going to be a great person to be with in Ghana. I can't wait to understand and see more tangibly throughout the rest of the class.

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say, you are a sweetheart. Haha. I've been having a really rough morning, but reading this post just turned it around. I'm so glad that I could do that for you, when really it was just a fun experience learning how to make something different! I cannot tell you how much I agree with everything you're explaining in this post. And I feel like anyone on the outside of the field studies program... just can't really understand the whole uncertainty and vagueness of the situation. I can totally relate to feeling lost, unorganized, and just plain stressed about everything that lay ahead. But, like you, I seem to find more and more clarity with every class period. I'm so glad that I'll have you and Rebecca to bounce ideas off of in the field--I've noticed that we all tend to think along the same tangent, but also in very distinct ways. We'll be able to offer a lot to each other in the 90 days we have in the field. I missed you in class yesterday!! See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both you and Katie are doing so well in preparing for your experiences in Ghana! The apparent and sincere desire both of you have to learn is awesome as well as the respect you seem to have for the people and the experience.

    ReplyDelete