Tuesday, May 10, 2011

People Time and Me Time

I really enjoyed the article and class discussion on Polychronic and Monochronic time. It is something I’ve thought of in anticipation to traveling to Ghana. When I imagine myself living I envision the rejection of my planner and a set schedule, having multiple assignments going on at once, and being around a lot of people. I’ve consciously imagined my African experience this way and recognized it is completely opposite of the Monochronic time I live in right now. It excites me to think that I may have the opportunity to practice living in P- time more by living in Ghana. I yearn to live in the polychromic time because I know it is very relationship oriented. I am not only going to Ghana to perform my own research and to receive grades but to meet people and build new relationships. I really think the “P” in P-time stands for people. In a Mormon Message titled “What Matters Most” President Monson urges us to never let a problem to be solved be put above people to be loved. This is something I want to work on during my field experience. This may be tough though because I will prepare to return back to a Monochronic society that will expect collected empirical and measurable data regarding my research.

Along with my romantic vision of living in P-time I have a realistically reflected on the chance that I may not be able to relinquish my Monochronic time patterns. I only have 3 months to complete my research and I could easily try to control my experience by creating a strict schedule for myself to assure I will get everything done that I hope to. I could easily fall back into M-time or Me time where all the focus is on me and the research I'm conducting. I don’t want this attitude to detract from the more important things I could be learning and experiencing from such as social activities, private conversations, and such.

I truly desire to build relationships. I truly desire to experience Ghanaian culture. I truly desire to produce a valid research project. How am I going to practice participation and productivity at the same time? I think I might have biased opinions about Monochronic time like the author of the article did. Dave pointed this out in class, Polychronic time people ARE productive. I just don’t understand how right now because I am pure Monochronic timeian and that’s all I know. I feel liberated and less anxious now with recognizing at least one aspect of Ghanaian life that could provide culture shock for me. Now I just need to prepare and accept that thought I dream of Polychronic time, I may not be comfortable with it.

1 comment:

  1. I think we may have to help each other on this one. I feel like I can be very influenced by an M-time mentality because of everything I choose to involve myself with. But I'm excited, too! It will be so great to break free from a world that is constantly reminding us that we're late, or that we're too busy to take the time, or that we need to hurry up. I'm so excited that, while in Ghana, we'll have the opportunity to see the other side of life and slow things down.. Yay for P-time!

    ReplyDelete