Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Value Orientations

Our discussion on value orientations was enlightening for me. I have struggled recently with realizing at times I have a certain value and in another situation sympathize with the opposite of that value. I have a spiritual example; I know that we are given agency and the ability to act for ourselves but sometimes I am led by the spirit to believe I must relinquish an illusory control I have on my life and must rely on the Lord. This instigates some cognitive dissonance for me that is hard to deal. The best way I've found to deal with paradoxes like this is to make an agreement with myself that I will do my best everyday. Because some days are better than others I will have to evaluate what that means for myself on a day to day basis.

I find a paradox such as this in the creation of my project proposal. I want to plan and prepare as much as I can so that I have the highest quality experience in Ghana. I also want to relax a little and allow myself flexibility to participate in the daily activities I hope to experience while living there. I think this is a value orientation across the spectrum of P-time and M- time discussed in my previous post. I believe I will need to hold the same approach to this matter as I do for the situation discussed in the paragraph above. I need to agree with myself that I will allow the process of redefining and molding to continue throughout my project so that I can have the flexibility to enough what I wish, but that I will also work as hard as I can to prepare as much as possible. I cannot allow myself to be stuck in all-or-none thinking. There are factors unseen and privileges unknown, I cannot stifle myself by believing one will ruin me or the latter surpass me. I have to realize I do not have to value one side of this issue and one alone. I can make decisions dependent on the situation as choices arise to be made. I predict I will have more value orientation issues as I enter the field so I agree with myself now that I will be flexible with my thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment